Saturday, June 7, 2008

German population in Chicago

German population in Chicago?
I am thinking of moving to Chicago after finishing my nursing degree. My aunt told me Chicago has a lot of German influence and culture. I figure a city with a high german population is the next best thing to actually living in Germany.LOL I'm looking for a city where there is large German and/or Dutch population. I have a child (school-age) so I don't want to live somewhere crawling with crime. I don't drive (don't ask! LOL). I will have a BSN/RN soon. Any germans/ dutchy's out there? I could use some penpals! ;)
Chicago - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Then move to Milwaukee. That's were the Germans went. There are more Poles, Italians and Mexicans than Germans in Chicago and I honestly couldn't tell you were the German neighborhoods are!
2 :
yeah, i agree with above answer. There are German people here, but not a lot. I dont know of any German neighborhoods.
3 :
Chicago IS crawling with crime. Key West is a lovely place, I don't know about germans there, but the average nationality is alcoholic. Wasted away again........
4 :
Lincoln Square was once Chicago's German neighborhood, but the German population has assimilated over the decades and is so not very prominent here--at least not to the extent it once was. As other posters noted, you might want to look into moving to Milwaukee, if a German community is important to you. I am sure, however, that you could find German clubs, etc., here, but you would have to be proactive about finding this community.
5 :
Milwaukee or St. Louis. I live in St. Louis, and there are a lot of Germans here. Quite a few of the Bosnians here speak German too. Michigan has a lot of German towns also, like Frankenmuth.


Read more discussion :