Monday, September 14, 2009

Base housing in Germany

Base housing in Germany?
My husband who is graduating nursing school and I just got orders for Landstul Germany and in the orders in tiny little font at the bottom it says were only approved for a 1 bedroom house? I've never heard of 1 bedroom military houses. Is this true? I would have thought we would get at least a 2 bedroom... What is base housing like in general? A PX or BX? Thanks
Other - Germany - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You better ask in section military this is travel Germany. And despite the fact there are American military bases in Germany the country is not an American base but an indepedent nation in Europe. I can tell you what housing is like in Germany but not what it is like on a American base since civilians only can get on such a base with a special permit which are issued very restrictive since 9/11. I can only guess that the size of your house or apartement will depend on the grade in the army of your husband at least that is what it is like in European countries.
2 :
I am currently living on-post in Germany. I'm not in Landstul, but the on-post housing seems to be the same everywhere I've been in Germany. Unless you are an officer of some kind the housing is apartment-style. They are pretty small compared to what I was used to. One long building will have 3 separate stairwells, and there are 6 apartments per stairwell. Some of them come with a washer/dryer in each unit, while others have a shared laundry area in the basement. They only allow you one bedroom per couple and then additional rooms only if you have children or dependents. If you choose to and are approved to live off-post then they will help you find a 1-bedroom house.
3 :
Yes it is true and it is very common in my family to stay with my hubby in one bedroom and do not get a second one for my spare bf
4 :
I am going myself as a civilian, not much housing at landsthul, vogelweh has lots of housing study the driver test. Other questions are welcome.


Read more discussion :